Xbox 360 Wired Controller Keeps Disconnecting From PC (Causes, Fixes)
You may believe that random disconnections only exist intended for wireless Xbox controllers But you’d be mistaken!
Wired controllers are also disconnected from the computer or console due to a variety of reasons.
There may be an issue with the software, PC or even the controller itself.
Volume 0 percent
This article will provide you more than 15 techniques to help you solve the issue.
Xbox 360 Wired Controller Keeps Disconnecting From PC (Causes, Fixes)
1. Power Cycling The Controller
This solution is designed for players who have issues using the Xbox console.
Power cycling the console is an the ideal place to begin to prevent the controller from reconnecting.
Here’s what you should do:
- Press the “X” button of your console, and press it for approximately 20 seconds.
- After you have released the button, you should wait several minutes prior to pressing the button again. Press the button to start it again.
- After it has powered on, sign in to the Xbox accounts and then connect your controller with the console.
The problem is unlikely to continue to.
2. Update Firmware
If it’s been awhile since you’ve upgraded the Controller firmware, then it could be damaged or out of date and causing the regular disconnect issue.
To fix it, upgrade the firmware using the console:
- Connect the console to the controller using the USB cable.
- Log in to the account you have created on your Xbox accounts if don’t have one yet.
- Press to the menu button of the controller that is in the form of 3 horizontal lines.
- Select Options after which you can select Device and Accessories..
- Locate and select the controller that isn’t connecting Then, select to update the controller..
- Click Keep Going, so the system continues to search for updates.
You could be greeted with an ” No updates needed” message.
In any case you should ensure that the update is complete before disconnecting the console to the console.
3. Download Xbox Accessories Application
If you don’t own an Xbox controller, upgrade the Xbox controller using the Xbox Accessories application.
- Search for ” Microsoft Store” in the Windows search box, and then launch the application.
- In the search bar of the store enter ” Xbox Accessories.” Once you’ve located it, click the Get button to install it on your computer.
- Attach the Xbox controller to your PC using an USB cable and launch Xbox accessories.
- The app will detect the controller and upgrade it, which could resolve the issue you’ve had.
4. Update Controller Driver
When the driver for your controller isn’t up to up-to-date, then one of the indicators is the frequent disconnections that occur when using it.
It is possible to update the driver by using three methods:
A. Update Driver Through Device Manager
- Search for ” Device Manager”in the Windows search box and then launch the application.
- Find Universal Serial Bus controllersin the list of devices and then click on them.
- When it is expanded then right-click on it in the USB composite devicefield and choose Update Driver Software.
- Simply click on Automatically search for the most recent driver software in the window that will pop up.
- When Windows discovers and downloads the most recent driver, it will appear at the top of the page.
Follow the directions to set them up.
B. Update Driver Using Third-Party Applications
There are tools to detect and update any driver that’s outdated or is corrupt.
They’ll make it easier for you.
The first one is called the Bit Driver Updater.
The tool comes with an Pro version, however the free version is sufficient for what you need to accomplish:
- Download the.
- Open the app, install it and then wait for the auto scan to complete.
- After it has reflected those scans, search for the Xbox driver on the list of driver updates, then click the Update Now button.
To fix the issue with all your outdated drivers to fix the issue, simply click the Update All button.
- Restart your PC , and then reconnect the controllers.
Another utility is called Driver Easy..
Free versions will locate as well as download all the driver that you need but you’ll need to install them by hand.
The Pro version will automatically install them onto your computer, in addition.
- Download and install the Driver Easy.
- Launch the app and select on the “Scan Now” button.
- If you are running version Pro version, you are able to hit to the update all button.
If you don’t, click the button next the outdated driver that says update.
After the download has finished Once the download is complete, install the drivers.
- Restart your PC , and then reconnect the controllers.
5. Update Or Reinstall Graphics Drivers
Sometimes, the issue occurs due to an old graphic driver.
Then, you can try using Windows to install the latest driver:
- Search for ” Device Manager” in the Windows search bar, then open the application.
- Extend to expand the Screen adapters choice from the available devices.
- Once you have located the graphics card driver you are using, click right-click it and choose properties.
- Go to the Driver tab, then click the Update Driver button.
- Choose the search automatically for the driver software that is up-to-date option.
- After Windows has updated the driver, reboot your computer.
- If the issue does not resolve, return and click”Uninstall”, this time.
Restart your computer, and the most current driver is installed automatically.
The problem of disconnection is more prevalent among users who have the NVIDIA driver on their computer.
NVIDIA has access to a variety of system configurations and files which means there is an issue with NVIDIA as well as Microsoft’s Xbox controller.
There have been numerous reports that a change to the NVIDIA drivers resolved the problem.
- Visit to download the PC’s most recent graphic driver.
- If your browser provides you with the option of running or saving the document, you should choose to save.
- Delete any running Antivirus software that could cause problems with the installation.
Shut down all open programs and close all open programs.
- Verify that you’re logged on as Administrator.
- Right-click on the file , and select to run the file as administrator.
- Follow the steps of installation one at a time.
Choose a path for the installation file. the installation. Click Continue.
- You agree to the terms of license.
- Select the installation type you prefer.
It is recommended that you choose to go with the custom/advanced option instead of one like the one that is the Express one.
- Review all of the components and then click the box to Perform a Clean Install.
This will delete all previous profiles from the registry, and restore the defaults for the display system.
- Select Next and then wait for the installation process to finish.
Restart your computer following this.
6. Re-Enable The Game Controller In Device Manager
Re-enabling and disabling Game Controller and enabling it again Game Controller feature has worked for many players:
- Switch off the controller, and then type ” Device Manager” in the Windows search box. Then, launch the app.
- Click on the Human Interface Devices.
After it has expanded When it expands, right-click the Game Controllersand choose to disable in the menu dropdown.
- Give it a couple of seconds to confirm that it is disabled.
Click it again, right-click and select activate at this point.
- Restart your computer, and then connect your Xbox controller to determine whether the issue persists.
7. Stop The Device Association Service
- Input ” Run” in the Windows search box to launch the application.
- Enter ” Services.msc” in the search bar , and press the Enter key..
- After you have launched your local Services After that, locate the the Device Association Servicefrom the list then right-click on it and click the Stop button..
8. Tweak Power Management Settings Of Controller
When the Windows enters Power Saving Mode, it shuts off or disconnects devices that haven’t been in use for a period of time.
This may also be the case with the Xbox controller. In that case, you need to disable this feature:
- Search for ” Device Manager” in the Windows search box, and then launch the application.
- Look for your Xbox controller on the list, likely to be found within Xbox adapter window.
- Right-click it and choose the Properties.
- Choose from the power Management tab, and then remove the checkmark next to allow the computer to switch off this device in order to conserve power.
- Reboot the PC connect the controller, and then see whether the issue goes away.
9. Disable NVIDIA Wireless Controller Service
When your computer or you install NVIDIA drivers and the NVIDIA Wireless Controller service is automatically installed.
It aids you with controllers, however it occasionally causes problems with them.
A lot of people have said that turning off this feature has resolved their problem:
- Search for ” Task Manager” in the Windows search box, then open the application and go into Servicestab. tab Services.tab.
You can also search for ” Services” into the search box, and then open the app.
- After you’ve seen the list, browse through it to look for NVIDIA’s wireless controller.
- Right-click and select to stop.
- Then, right-click once more and choose the Properties.
- Then, next to Type Startup Click on the option and select to disable.
10. Uninstall NVIDIA GeForce Experience
NVIDIA has two control panels to adjust the settings of the graphics card.
The first includes the NVIDIA control panel, while the other can be an experience called the NVIDIA GeForce Experience that has a more user-friendly interface.
NVIDIA GeForce Experience could create conflicts with Xbox controllers, causing them to stop working randomly.
- Search for ” GeForce Experience” in the Windows search box, and then select the application.
- Click on the In-Game overlay settingsand then turn off the stream (Experimental)feature.
If none of this helps Uninstall this software. NVIDIA GeForce experience:
- Enter ” control panel” in the Windows search box and then launch the application.
- In the section of Programs under Programs, click under Programs, then click”Uninstall” in the Programs section. Uninstall a Program button.
- Find NVIDIA GeForce Experience Select it, then click it with the Removebutton.
- You must follow the steps of uninstallation, and then restart your computer.
If the issue persists this means that NVIDIA GeForce Experience wasn’t causing the problem. You can install it again from
11. Close Steam And Oculus Home
Steam as well as are two of the services which have access to the systems hardware and settings.
In no way, occasionally they are in conflict with Xbox controllers and will keep shutting off or disconnecting.
Make sure to close both the Steam as well as the Oculus Home apps and see whether the issue is resolved. If not, try the following:
- Connect the controller to the computer and search for ” Task Manager” in the Windows search box to launch the application.
- Go over to on the tab called Process. Click on the tab and find the Steam Client Bootstrapper.
- Stop the process, and keep closing all Steam processes one at a time.
- Make sure to connect the device to your PC, and verify whether the issue has been resolved.
12. Remove The Microphone Functionality Via PC Settings
Imagine your PC is equipped with an 3.5mm audio jack that can be used for headsets and headphones.
In this case you may be experiencing difficulty finding audio connection or controller connections from one source, causing disconnections to last for many minutes.
Turn off the input of the audio device via the controller to resolve the problem:
- Enter ” Sound Settings” in the Windows search bar.
- Other Settingsare located in the upper right-hand corner in the upper right corner.
Click on Sound Control Panel.
- Go to the Recording tab, then look for the controller’s name on the screen.
- Right-click and select to disable it.
13. Tie Up The Wire
The wire for the controller could be stretched near the end, which is attached to the controller. This can lead to frequent disconnections.
Connect the wire into the loop on that point to stop the weight of the wire from tearing the connection.
It’s not a solution that will last forever and, if you find that the wire is the cause it will be necessary to replace it at some point.
14. Buy A New USB Cable
Find a new cable for the controller , and then swap it out with the old one.
Remember that the USB 3.0 port can provide an even more secure connection.
If your PC is equipped with an USB 3.0 port, then you can find a USB 3.0 cable that works with it and connect the controller via the port.
15. Buying A New Controller
If none of these strategies helped you solve the issue, you can try an alternative controller.
If the disconnect does not occur on the second controller, then the initial Xbox controller is nearing it’s end lifespan.
You’ll need to purchase another one!
The methods listed for resolving an issue with a wired Xbox controller issue can work for a wireless controller which keeps disconnecting.
In actual fact, you can test all the options apart from tying the wire with a fresh USB wire.
Additionally, there are some other solutions that could work with wireless controllers:
1. Move Closer To The Console
If your wireless controller keeps disconnecting from the computer Your first thought is likely to be that it’s out of reach.
Make sure you are closer to your console or PC.
In the case of a console ensure that your controller is facing to the in front of it at all time.
2. Replace The Batteries
Batteries that are weak could be the reason for the intermittent disconnects.
Make sure you check the battery indicator in your screen at home.
If the batteries aren’t having enough power, replace them or recharge them.
3. Look For Hidden Adapters
- Enter ” device manager” into the Windows search box, then open Device Manager’s control panel. device Manager Control Panel.
- Choose View from the top menu bar , then click Show Hidden devices..
- If you notice that you have the Xbox 360 wireless adapter installed but isn’t connected, click on it and choose uninstall. Device.
4. Disable Internal Bluetooth Receiver
Windows utilizes an internal Bluetooth receiver built into the motherboard to establish the Bluetooth connectivity by default.
You can however use a dongle to accomplish this task.
There are reports that connecting to a Bluetooth receiver dongle and then enabling it using Device Manger resolved the disconnect issue.
5. Move Away From Electrical Appliances
Wireless Xbox controllers are able to be connected to your computer or console up to 30 feet.
However, obstacles and devices emitting radio waves may hinder the communication.
They include microwaves laptops, phones, laptops, wireless routers, and more.
Make sure to get these objects away from you when playing.
Physical barriers can affect the connection between two devices, like doors to entertainment consoles as well as chrome dividers and so on.
Take them off between you and your computer or console.